Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Tolras - OD&D weapon damage

 Currently floating this idea for weapon damage, slight expansion on 2d6 take highest roll found in Philotomy's Musings (www.grey-elf.com) and a hundred other places. I like it, slick way to do "variable" weapon damage without actually doing variable weapon damage.


One handed weapons deal 1d6 damage

One handed weapons (that CAN be wielded in two hands), wielded in two hands deal 2d6 take highest damage. (otherwise they just do the regular 1d6).

Two handed weapons ( translation: "devastating" polearms in Tolras) deal 3d6 take highest damage

1d6:standard 1-6 chance for all

(From Anydice.com)

2d6 take highest:

1    2.78%
2    8.33%
3    13.89%
4    19.44%
5    25%
6    30.56%

3d6 take highest:

1    .46%
2    3.24%
3    8.80%
4    17.13%
5    28.24%
6    42.13%

Lances and Pikes would not be included in this scheme, as they already have special rules in OD&D that govern them just fine for my tastes and desires.

I like it on the surface. Does the whole "do I use a shield for more defense or eschew the shield for higher-on-average damage" thing. This is at least the basis, at least giving the choice of hand usage. Now I just need to settle on how I want to make the different types of weapons matter. There's pretty much two choices for me right now- a Chainmail esque table for the d20, or simplistic bonus/penalty by type. I waffle back and forth a lot but I think I am going to concentrate on simplistic modifiers for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment

25-5-1 ratio hex sheets

  25-5-1 hex ratio sheets This set of hex sheets is a reworked version of the Welsh Piper sheets of the same ratio, but made to print much b...